Auth

Oct 7, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Hi there,

Is it possible to add auth settings to the proxy config - for example client connects unauthenticated to the proxy - proxy connects to a smtp server that requires authentication?

We have this scenario on a private network and this feature will be great :-)

Kind regards, Emil

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Hi Emil,

Sorry for the delay in replying...I never received an email from CodePlex or it may have gotten eaten as spam.

I'm concerned about implementing your suggestion because it would mean that ALL users were using the same username/password pair to send email. One of the reasons SMTP servers require authentication is so that only authenticated users have access. It was by design that I didn't circumvent authentication.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards, Doug

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Hi Doug,

I have to second Emil on his desire to be able to send from SmtpProxy to my ISP without providing credentials.  At my house, normal email traffic goes straight to my ISP because Outlookcan be configured with credentials and ports.  My problem that I'm trying to solve with a proxy is my hardware monitoring and alerting.  Specifically the Intel Rapid Storage Technology applet which monitors my "server's" hardware RAID set.  It can send emial alerts in the event of an issue, but it doesn't accept credentials (why would you want a hardware service to look like a peson, I guess).  Firewalls prevent the outside world from hijacking my proxy and sending thru my ISP as me.  I agree with your assessment of why ISP's require authentication and I support their stance, but their tools don't support my tools.  :-(

Regards,

Brad 

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Doug,

I'd like to see this feature as well.  My company provides IT services for small and medium businesses, and many of the computers we run into have Intel Matrix Storage Manager and PowerChute Business Edition installed.  Both of those programs provide information that's critical to us, but neither one supports SSL/TLS and authentication.  When we have a Windows Server machine at the customer's site, we configure IIS to do the proxying for us, but often there's just a simple Windows 7 PC acting as a file server.

Your program is wonderfully simple to install and configure, and the addition of stored credentials would make it perfect for our use case.  I understand your concern about attribution and non-repudiation and I can see two practical measures to prevent abuse that would still meet the needs emildev, brada269, and I have.  First, if stored credentials are being used, only accept connections from localhost.  That would eliminate abuse of the proxy from other computers on the network.  Second, and again only if stored credentials are being used, disregard the original "To:" field in the header and deliver all emails to a specified address.  That would ensure that any abuse coming from localhost would be limited to a single destination email address.

Please let me know your thoughts.  I'd be happy to make a donation since we would use your program for business purposes.  I suspect others might feel the same.  Thanks in advance!

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Same request. Our client's ISP just made smtp-auth mandatory and they have client software that does a mailout for overdues that simply doesn't support it. This tool seems perfect save for the lack of AUTH support.

I wouldn't worry so much about the security of implementing this feature. People use technology for good and bad, having SMTP-AUTH support in this tool isn't going to hinder that in anyway and it's certainly not going to be your responsibility how people use your tool in the end of the day. Classic kitchen knife/hammer arguments apply here.

My vote is provide it if you can, make the tool more flexible to the end user.
Apr 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Also for anyone else on the look out. Try http://netwinsite.com/dmail/smtpauth.htm it supports Auth and configures itself via script prompts when you launch it.